Private Revenue Perfins of Victoria
An Elsmore Coath Howard production
The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work
Section 2 - Commercial Overprints
User: Yellow Express Carriers Ltd
Address: 134 Jeffcott St, West Melbourne, VIC
1932 Series 3d
1932 Series 3d R4
Background: Yellow Express Carriers, common carriers, general agents, began in April, 1926, with a registered initial capital of £500,000 in £1 shares and Pearson W. Tewkesbury (chairman), Maurice Shmith (a director of Autocar Industries), Cornelius Joseph Ahern, Hugh S. Eyton and N. Picot (soon to be the underwriter) as founding directors. (Yellow Express was not associated with Yellow Cabs of Australia Ltd.)
The company was registered in Sydney and Melbourne; by November it had acquired land on the corner of Clarendon and Grant Streets, South Melbourne, and was proceeding to erect a depot.
In 1927, Yellow Express Carriers acquired Melbourne Carrying Co. Pty Ltd and obtained a major contract with the N.S.W. Woolbrokers’ Association to transport wool bales. The company also purchased land for a depot at Pyrmont in Sydney, the depot being completed in 1928.
In 1928, the company had offices at 516 Collins Street, Melbourne, and was advertising “heavy haulage of all descriptions” as well as introducing “express luggage and parcel delivery”. Mechanised vehicles were also introduced.
In 1929, the parcels delivery business was established and the heavy carrying and truck rental businesses expanded. Consequently, the North Melbourne garage and store, in McAuley Road (cnr of Sutton and Boundary Roads) were extended and the Melbourne fleet increased from 63 to 104 vehicles (both horse drawn and motorised).
With the start of the Great Depression, Yellow Express underwent a capital reduction and reconstruction in 1930, but by 1933, the Melbourne fleet had grown to 200 vehicles. 1935 saw the purchase of premises adjacent to the Pyrmont garage and the planned removal of the Melbourne business to enable more centralised shipping.
In 1938, the cartage and storage business of Daniel Vaughan, one of the oldest and largest cartage contractors in Victoria, was amalgamated with Yellow Express Carriers, becoming Daniel Vaughan Pty Ltd, with the capital held by Yellow Express Carriers. Surplus buildings in McAuley Road, North Melbourne, 516 -518 Flinders Street and in Kensington were auctioned and Yellow Express Carriers Ltd offices re-located to 588 Little Collins Street, Melbourne.
Also in 1938, a large parcel of land was leased from the Melbourne Harbour Trust for the erection of suitable buildings, thereby allowing the future disposal of North and South Melbourne properties. The company also acquired the Melbourne City Council contract for the daily cleaning of Melbourne streets. This necessitated the acquisition of the entire fleet of horses and carts of the previous contractor, J. & C. Brown.
In Sydney, in 1938, Yellow Express Carriers purchased Isles Suburban Delivery business (of 50 vehicles), which was expanded and modernised, thereby strengthening the company’s parcels delivery business.
Wartime saw a greater reliance on horse drawn vehicles due to petrol rationing and investment in “producer gas plants” for use of gas in long haul vehicles.
In 1946, in Sydney, Yellow Express Carriers purchased a site, comprising 34 old buildings, close to the Pyrmont site and erected new processing stores. Mechanical equipment for sorting packages was introduced and a dedicated delivery service for retail and drapery delivery was separated from the wholesale and private individuals services.
A share capital reconstruction occurred in 1950 with a 1 for 7 bonus issue, followed by a 1 for 5 share issue in 1951, when a 30,000 sq. foot terminal and office and 45,000 sq. foot garage were planned. The old North Melbourne garage was put out to lease to raise revenue.
In 1954, Yellow Express Carriers announced an annual dividend of 15% up 10% on the previous year. The cashed up company acquired Roadair Pty Ltd, interstate road hauliers, of Albury in 1956.
Today, Yellow Express Carriers operates Australia wide and internationally.
Among the company’s more notable achievements are hauling steel for the construction of Sydney harbour Bridge; helping more Sir Charles Kingsford-Smith’s famous “Southern Cross” plane; and hauling the largest indivisible load ever carried in Australia, a boiler trucked from Sydney to Newcastle. In 1947, in the largest single unit move to date, Yellow Express Carriers successfully moved the entire, large grandstand of Kilmore Racecourse from the eastern side of the ground to the western side of the ground.
Device: Typeset, as a result subject to slight variation in size of font and spacing.
Related Patterns: Nil
User: Younger Pty Ltd.
Address: Hamilton, VIC
1932 Series 3d
1932 Series 3d R4
Background: James and John Wilson Younger were born in Enniskillen, Ireland, in 1854 and 1857 respectively, to George Younger (jnr) and Isabella Riccalton. By 1862, George Younger is found trading as a brewer in Beechworth, Victoria, before moving to Yackandandah.
From the early 1870s, Melbourne Cash Stores started appearing in the bigger country towns such as Bendigo, Ballarat, Hamilton, Sale, Bairnsdale and Kerang (1882). By 1888, James Younger, by then living in Hawthorn, had branches of Melbourne Cash Stores in Camperdown (run by his brother-in-law Gideon Morrison), Cobden, Terang and Mortlake.
John Wilson Younger worked in his father’s licensed grocery shop in Yackandandah before coming to Warrnambool where, by 1888, he was operating Younger & Co.’s Melbourne Cash Store, selling general merchandise, with his partner John S. Jeffrey (partnership ended 1899). John Wilson Younger would cash the dairy co-operative cheques paid to farmers and take dairy produce in exchange for groceries, paying any difference in cash.
The business prospered and grew into a large department store. (Recently, the building was renovated, the original early twentieth century decorative gables being revealed, together with wooden ceilings and skylights. It is now occupied by two major national retailers.)
In 1912, J. Younger & Co. were merchants carrying on business as “tailors, mercers etc.” in Liebig Street, Warrnambool. In July, 1914, “a new company, known as Younger Pty Ltd, with a capital of £16,000 in 160 shares of £100 each” acquired the business of “J. Younger & Co., merchants, of Warrnambool”. The first directors were J.W. Younger and W.B. Davies. The firm sold everything from patent medicines, fabrics, linen, picture frames and confectionary to ready-to-wear and custom made clothing.
John Wilson Younger became a director of Warrnambool Woollen Mills in the early 1900s, a position he still retained in 1920. He was Mayor of Warrnambool 1911-13 and an elder of St John’s Presbyterian Church. He purchased ‘Dwarroon’, sub-dividing it into four 400 acre dairy farms, each of his daughters, Isabella, Grace, Dorothy and Marjory, inheriting a farm. John Wilson Younger collapsed and died on the church bowling green in 1939, aged 82 years. he is buried in Warrnambool cemetery.
Younger Pty Ltd was carried on by Younger’s son-in-law, Carlos Gordon, the store manager being W.B. Davies. In 1958, following the death of Carlos Gordon, the business was sold to Charles Moore Ltd for £80,000, continuing trading as ‘Younger’s: a Moore’s store’.
John Wilson Younger’s daughter Isabella is of special note. She studied medicine and became the famous Dr Isabella Younger Ross, founder of the infant welfare movement in Australia, opening the first baby health centre in Richmond in 1917.
Related Patterns: Nil
Macdonald, Janet. Warrnambool Historical Society, Notes on Younger.
Charles, F., The Boyle family of Mortlake and Camperdown, The Morrison family of Camperdown, the Younger family of Warrnambool, 2014
Younger as Mayor 1911-1913
Younger Original Shop
© copyright 2011