Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of Victoria

An Elsmore Coath production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  V  W  Y  Other

Back to States index

W

--------------------------------------------------------

W&Co.a

User: Unknown

(Possibly Wood & Co, see Background, for Wood, Dunn & Co)

 

Address: St, Melbourne, VIC

 

Background: Unknown

 

Device: The W/&Co.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

There are 4 different variations reported on postage stamps but only a single setting reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found over the period 1900 until 1901, with use on revenue stamps being very rare, but use on postage stamps is more common.

 

Related Patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/C.a

User: Unknown

Address: St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use:

c1930 Series: 1d

Rarity Scale:

 

c1930 Series 1d R4

Background: Unknown

 

Device: This was a single die customised device that came into service in Melbourne in about 1927. It seems to have replaced an earlier Melbourne WD/C device, most likely from the same user, that was in service between 1923 and early 1927. However, this earlier pattern is not found on Revenue stamps.

 

This later WD/C.a device remained in service until at least 1955. Revenue use is very rare and it is most commonly found on Postage stamps.

 

However, despite this extended usage the user of this WD/C and indeed the earlier WD/C device remains unknown.

Related Patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

W.D/&Co..a

User: Wood, Dunn & Co (Later Limited)

Dairy Produce Merchants

Address: 10 Market St, Melbourne, VIC

Also 24-26 Market St and later 8-12 Market St, see Background

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades), 2d

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R1, 2d R4

Background: *Wood, Dunn & Co. was established by James Wood and James Dunn as “Commission and produce agents for farmers and dairymen” and brokers for farm sales, boasting, in late 1886 (despite only appearing in the records in the same year), of a “long and intimate acquaintance with the farming community and their requirements”.

 

The company advertised extensively and often for supplies of butter, in particular, using the same advertisement in all newspapers, year after year.

 

In February, 1887, the firm of Wood & Co., produce merchants, of 25 King St, became a separate business entity from Wood, Dunn & Co. of 9 Market St, Melbourne, James Wood continuing to be a principal of Wood, Dunn & Co.

 

The company office of Wood, Dunn & Co. Ltd moved from 24-26 Market St to 8-12 Market St, opposite the warehouse, in July, 1898.

James Wood appears to have been a pioneer of the Victorian butter export trade to England, first visiting England to investigate the prospects in December, 1887. By 1900, Wood, Dunn & Co. was advertising as “Dairy produce and export commission agents, British, Intercolonial and local markets”.

 

The company built butter factories and creameries in dairying communities such as Thoona (1889), Greta, Tawanga, and Heyfield (1900), where Reginald Varley, “in the employ of Wood, Dunn & Co.” was architect and surveyor. Varley had joined Wood, Dunn & Co. in November, 1896, as a country traveller and later became the company bookkeeper.

 

By 1904, when relations between dairy producers and the butter marketing companies had reached scandalous proportions, Wood, Dunn & Co. had opened “13 or 14 creameries and factories”.


From March, 1904, the Butter Commission, convened by the Commonwealth Government, revealed a sordid tale of corruption involving Wood, Dunn & Company’s use of bribes and secret commissions to rural community dairy secretaries and managers to secure business. Gifts, theatre tickets and other inducements were common practice. Bad butter, stale or old butter was sold under the brand label of the producer, the best butter boxes were sent upstairs in the warehouse to be re-branded with Wood, Dunn & Co. labels.

 

James Dunn’s brother-in-law, Arthur George Butler Birchall, was used as a dummy director of Country Butter Co. Ltd, while Varley, still the bookkeeper at Wood, Dunn & Co., was also manager of Pasteurised Milk Co. Ltd. Worse was to come when witnesses admitted that there were “occasional burnings of the account books” to dispose of mal-practice.

 

By mid-1904, both Reginald Varley and James Dunn were “formerly” of Wood, Dunn & Co.” The scandal destroyed Wood, Dunn & Co. which went into liquidation, its assets being sold at auction in 1905.

 

 

Device: The WD/&Co.a pattern was struck from a Customised die in a single die format and it was in use for the period 1896 until at least 1904.

 

It is commonly found on Postage stamps of this period but usage on Revenue stamps is rarer. The Authors have sighted a single example of the pattern used on a 1 1/2d Brown KGV Commonwealth issue but cannot explain this late usage as the Company was wound up in about 1905 (see Background above). Perhaps when the assets of the Company were disposed of the Perforator was sold and later used.  

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other Wood, Dunn & Co patterns in:

 

VIC: WD/&Co.b, WD/&Co.c

 

*Jenny O’Donnell research, Trove, State Library of Victoria

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/&Co.b

User: Wood, Dunn & Co(Later Limited)

Dairy Produce Merchants

Address: 10 Market St, Melbourne, VIC

Also 24-26 Market St and later 8-12 Market St, see Background

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades), 2d

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R1, 2d R4

Background: See WD/&Co.a

 

Device: The WD/&Co.b pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

The WD/&Co.b is extremely rare and only 2 different variations are reported on postage stamps, but only a single setting is reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found over the period C1897. This is understandable as the Company had its own Customised device (WD/&Co.a) during this period and would have only used Temporary patterns when they experienced peak demand in usage.

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other Wood, Dunn & Co patterns in:

 

VIC: WD/&Co.a, WD/&Co.c

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/&Co.c

User: Wood, Dunn & Co(Later Limited)(unconfirmed)

Dairy Produce Merchants

Address: 10 Market St, Melbourne, VIC

Also 24-26 Market St and later 8-12 Market St, see Background

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades), 2d

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R1, 2d R4

Background: See WD/&Co.a

Device: The WD/&Co.c pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

The WD/&Co.c is rare and only 3 different variations are reported on postage stamps, but only a single setting is reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found over the period 1901 - 02. This is understandable as the Company had its own Customised device (WD/&Co.a) during this period and would have only used Temporary patterns when they experienced peak demand in usage.

Related Patterns: Refer to other Wood, Dunn & Co patterns in:

 

VIC: WD/&Co.a, WD/&Co.b

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/&S.a

User: William Dodgshun & Sons

Warehousemen & Importers

Address: 258-260 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: *William Dodgshun (snr) established a general merchants business in Leeds in 1804. In time this was operated by his son, William (jnr), under the name Dodgshun, Dickson & Co. with business in London, as well as Leeds.

 

In 1854, William senior’s son, James Henry Dodgshun opened for business in Flinders’ Lane, Melbourne, importing a variety of goods from cheese, butter and ham to coal, furniture and “97 trunks boots & shoes”.

 

In 1859, Dodgshun, Austin & Co of 6 Elizabeth Street, was formed, dealing amongst other things in “10,000 sheep and 80 cattle” from near Broadford. By 1860, another son, Joseph, had joined the Melbourne business. He would later run the Launceston based branch.The association of Dodgshun and Austin lasted until 1866 when the business became James Dodgshun & Co..

 

In 1888, the partnership between William Dodgshun, of Dodgshun, Dickson & Co, general merchants, and his brothers James and Joseph of James Dodgshun & Co. was dissolved.

 

The Leeds and London business was carried on by William and his two sons, William Henry and John Edward as Dodgshun, Dickson & Co.; while the Melbourne business was carried on by the same men, ”under the style of William Dodgshun and sons”. The Launceston business continued under Joseph and his son, Charles, as Dodgshun Sons & Co.

 

Later the business was floated as public company under the title Dodgshun and Sons Pty Ltd. “The old established softgoods house” ceased trading in 1923, disposing of stock to a new entity Dodgshuns’ Successors Pty Ltd, the directors being H.C. Tucker, Alfred Heap and William McNeilage.

 

Dodgshun’s Building, a four storey brick warehouse, at 256 Flinders Lane on the corner of Centre Walk, was sold at auction in 1927. The price was £60,000. The purchasers initially planned to remodel the building creating a row of shops along the lane and ground floor frontage with showrooms and offices above. However, the old warehouse was demolished and a modern building erected.

 

Device: The WD/&S.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

The WD/&S.a pattern is relatively common and was one of the main styles of Temporary pattern used by the company over their use of the WD&S format from 1896-1922. In particular the WD/&S.a was used over the period 1896-1900. As a result, many different variations exist on postage stamps, but only a single setting is reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found on revenue stamps in 1896.

Related Patterns: Refer to other William Dodgshun patterns in:

 

VIC: WD&S.b, WD/&S/M.a

 

*Jenny O’Donnell research, Trove, State Library of Victoria

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/&S.b

User: William Dodgshun & Sons

Warehousemen & Importers

Address: 258-260 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: See WD/&S.a

 

Device: The WD/&S.b pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

Like the WD/&S.a pattern, the WD/&S.b pattern is relatively common and was one of the main styles of Temporary pattern used by the company. In particular the WD/&S.b was used over the period 1901 – 1910 and the same style was later reprised in about 1918 until 1921, but this later usage was only on postage stamps. As a result of this long usage period, many different variations exist on postage stamps, but only a single setting is reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found on revenue stamps in 1901.

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other William Dodgshun patterns in:

 

VIC: WD/&S.a, WD/&S/M.a

--------------------------------------------------------

WD/&S/M.a

User: William Dodgshun & Sons

Warehousemen & Importers

Address: 258-260 Flinders Lane, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: See WD/&S.a

 

Device: The WD/&S/M.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern. The “M” presumably stood for “Melbourne”.

The WD/&S/M.a pattern is scarce and was the main style of Temporary pattern used by the company over the period 1894-1897. As a result of this relatively short usage period there are only two different variations found on postage stamps, but only a single setting is reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found on revenue stamps in 1897.

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other William Dodgshun patterns in:

 

VIC: WD/&S.a, WD/&S.b

--------------------------------------------------------

W&/GD.a

User: W & G Dean & Co

Oil & Colour Merchants

Address: Equitable Place, Melbourne, VIC

Other locations see Background

1902 Series: 1d

Rarity Scale:

 

1902 Series 1d R4

Background*: William Dean and his wife arrived in Victoria in late 1852 aboard the ‘Rip van Winkle’. Success on the gold fields proved elusive and in 1854 Dean opened a small “oil and colour” shop. In 1857, George Dean migrated from England, joining his brother in the business and later becoming a junior partner.

 

By 1863, William Dean had a two storey store at 67 Elizabeth Street, next to the offices of The Age newspaper. (Both offices are shown in an historic photograph of the Bourke and Wills monument being taken to Melbourne General Cemetery.)

 

In 1859, Reuben Alfred Fitch (born 1822 in Surrey) arrived from London to represent the interests of several English, American and Continental firms involved in oil (paint) and powder colour supply, varnish manufacture, wallpaper and hanger manufacture, oil cloth, anti-corrosive paint manufacture, brushmakers and artists’ materials manufacturers.

 

In 1869 Fitch took J.B. French into partnership, the firm trading as Fitch and French. In 1874, William Dean purchased the entire stock of Fitch & French and the best of the major agencies for overseas firms. Henceforth Fitch & French’s “oil, colour, varnish and paperhanging business” was conducted under the style of William Dean & Co. in an impressive three storey (freehold) building at 99 Flinders Lane East.

The cellar was used for storing bulk oils, paints, white lead and the like; the ground floor was devoted to offices, packing, oils in drums, and dry colors; the entire first floor was occupied by the paperhanging and sponges departments; while the top floor was occupied by light dry goods.

 

Fitch retired, returning to England (1875) where he died in 1899. J.B. French remained with Wm Dean & Co. and by 1888 had become the active partner in the business.

 

Wm Dean & Co was carried on solely by William until 1882, when he took A.W. Walsh into partnership. It was a short lived association, Walsh retiring in 1887. The building at 91 Flinders Lane (re-numbered) was destroyed by a disastrous fire in 1889, which resulted in a move to newer and larger premises in Equitable Place (which runs between Little Collins St and Collins St, main access via Little Collins St, near 357 Little Collins St) where the wholesale and retail arms were amalgamated into the firm of William & George Dean.

 

William Dean died in May, 1897, at his home ‘Glenferrie Lodge’ in Hawthorn and George Dean purchased his deceased brother’s share in the company. At the time, the wholesale oil and colour market was almost completely divided between Wm & G. Dean & Co and fellow perfin users, Brooks, Robinson & Co.

 

William Dean had been musical, and financially involved with the Melbourne Opera House. He was the closest friend of William Saurin Lyster the operatic entrepreneur who died at Dean’s home, ‘Glenferrie Lodge’ in Hawthorn in 1880. In his Will, William Dean bequeathed £1,000 to the Old Colonists’ Association and legacies to five long-serving employees of the company provided they were still in the employ of the firm William Dean and Co.

 

Dean & Co suffered another fire in 1913 which damaged stock, and they moved in 1915 to freehold premises in Little Collins Street. George Dean died in 1921, but his sons Albert, Ernest and Archibald all remained connected with the firm of W. & G. Dean Pty Ltd.

 

The company continued to expand leading to the construction in 1937 of an impressive eight storey building in Little Collins Street., with a fine exhibition space on the first floor.

 

At the time of its centenary in 1954, W. & G. Dean Pty Ltd was the oldest established firm in Victoria handling paints, wallpaper, glass, artists’ and drawing materials. The then managing director, A.C. Ryan, had been with the company since 1904. Dean’s Art was still trading in 2017.

 

Device: The W&GD.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

W. & G. Dean where extensive users of Temporary patterns and there are over 40 different WGD and W&GD patterns in various formats found used in Melbourne over the period 1896-c1920.

The W&GD.a pattern is relatively common and was the main style of Temporary pattern used by the company over the period c1900-1906 and the same style was later reprised in about c1918, but this later usage was only on postage stamps.

As a result of this long usage period, many different variations exist on postage stamps, but only three settings are reported on revenue stamps.

The pattern is only found on revenue stamps in the period c1900-1904.

Related Patterns: Nil

 

*Jenny O’Donnell research, Trove, State Library of Victoria

--------------------------------------------------------

WG/W.a

User: Unknown (Likely same user as W/GW.a)

Address: St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: Unknown

 

Device: The WG/W.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

Many styles of WG/W exist on postage stamps over the period 1896-1904 but only the WG/W.a format is found on revenue stamps.

The WG/W.a format is the most common of the styles and is found used in the period 1895-1900, but it is still relatively uncommon. Many variations of the .a format exist on postage stamps but only 2 are found on revenue stamps.

 

Related Patterns: Refer W/GW.a (unconfirmed)

--------------------------------------------------------

W/GW.a

User: Unknown (Likely same user as W/GW.a)

Address: St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: Unknown

 

Device: The W/GW.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

The W/GW.a pattern is very rare and was most likely just a different setting of a pattern for the user of WG/W.

Two styles of W/GW.a are reported on postage stamps but a single format is found on revenue stamps.

All usage appears to be limited to 1895.

 

Related Patterns: Refer WG/W.a (unconfirmed)

--------------------------------------------------------

W.H/B.a

 

User: W H Blackham

Auctioneer

Address: 59-61 King St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use:

1911 Series 1d

1915 Series 2d

Rarity Scale:

 

1911 Series 1d R4

 

1915 Series 2d R4

Railway Use:

1934 Series 1d

Rarity Scale:

 

1934 Series 1d R4

Background*: William Henry Blackham was born in Adelaide in 1855, the son of a printer. He came to Victoria around 1879 and married Elizabeth Pike in 1880, becoming resident in McKean Street, Fitzroy where his six children were born (1880-89). He clearly prospered living in Brighton by 1893, moving to Toorak (1900), South Yarra (1901) and finally Auburn (1903).

 In the 1890s, William Blackham was a senior employee of C.W. Gray, grain and dairy produce merchants, of William Street. W. H. Blackham, “Auctioneer, produce salesman and export agent” commenced business in 1904 at 59-61 King Street, Melbourne. The business had formerly been W. Adamson & Co which had been acquired by C.W. Gray in 1903 and thence by William Blackham.

 

Blackham would continue to style himself as a ‘dairy produce salesman’ for a number of years. W.H. Blackham of Melbourne was appointed export agent for the season for Mansfield Butter Factory Co. in 1904 and the Kilmore dairy company in 1906. The company continued to thrive leading to this glowing piece in Punch (Melbourne) 6 February, 1913, p.29.

“Mr Blackham has a big reputation as an auctioneer and produce salesman and besides conducting his usual daily sales of fruit, butter, cheese, bacon and other dairy produce, he also has Tuesday and Thursday sales of meat and pork. In addition, he attends to a rapidly expanding business in dairy machinery, and is the proprietor of the Astral Milking Machine which is largely employed by Melbourne dairymen and is well known all over Australia and New Zealand.

He is the Victorian and Tasmanian representative of the popular Globe Cream Separator; proprietor of the Austral Petrol and Steam Engines and Bottlers, and the Austral Air Gas Engine which is regarded as invaluable for cheap lighting in the country districts. Mr Blackham, by the way, is a considerable dealer in orchardists’ requisites and is stocking a Modern Fruit Canner which enables the grower to bottle or can his fruit by the best methods of an up-to-date factory.”

From its King Street (Melbourne) offices in 1920, the company advertised dairy industry equipment for sale ranging from milking machines and cream separators to cow rugs, tarpaulins and tents. At the same time, it received produce, especially eggs, on consignment.

William Henry Blackham, still Managing Director of W.H. Blackham Pty Ltd at the age of 75, died at his Dandenong Road, St Kilda, home in September, 1930.

In 1950, W.H. Blackham Pty Ltd, Dairy Produce Merchants of 59 King Street, Melbourne, were servicing the dairy, poultry and egg industries handling the raw produce and selling equipment. The company was still in business in 1970.

Employees of W.H. Blackham 1905

Back row: 2nd on right: William Arthur Blackham (son)

Front row: 4th on left: William Henry Blackham; 7th on left: Victor Richard Blackham (son)

 

Device: The W.H/B.a device is a customised device in a single die format. It came into service in around 1907 and was used up until at least 1946.

 

The pattern was clear throughout the life of the device and it is commonly found on postage stamps.

 

Revenue usage is much rarer, which is peculiar given the long duration of the device and the nature of the company business.  

 

Related Patterns: Nil

 

*Jenny O’Donnell research, Trove, State Library of Victoria

--------------------------------------------------------

WILLS.a

User: W D & H O Wills (Australia Ltd)

Tobacco Products

Address: 511 Kent St (corner of Bathurst St), Sydney, NSW

Revenue Use:

Numeral issue 2d

Rarity Scale:

Numeral issue 2d R4

Background: *1 The company was founded as Wills, Watkins & Co. by Henry Wills and Samuel Watkins, who opened a Tobacco shop in Castle Street, Bristol in 1786. The company had various names as it grew through mergers and acquisitions but in 1826 Will’s two sons, William Day Wills and Henry Overton Wills took over the company and in 1830 they adopted the name of WD and HO Wills.

 

The company grew steadily expanding there manufacturing and selling of Tobacco products and in 1871 they launched their first cigarette. In 1901 Sir William Wills formed the Imperial Tobacco Company in a merger with seven other British tobacco companies. Imperial remains one of the world's largest tobacco companies.

 

In 1913 W.D & H.O. Wills (Australia) Ltd was formed and they began manufacturing tobacco products in Kensington, Sydney and in 1945 they established another factory in East Bentleigh, Melbourne.

 

In 1989 W.D & H.O.Wills (Australia) became a subsidiary of the British American Tobacco Industries group of companies.

 

Device: The WILLS.a pattern is one of 3 similar devices/patterns that the company used in Australia.

 

The 3 patterns are rather similar, particularly the later Sydney and the Melbourne ones, and this has lead to a number of miss reported usages in previous studies of Australian perfins.

 

                      Elsmore/Coath usage         HAPP usage

 

Sydney:           WILLS.a  1902-1906          1902-1931

 

                       WILLS.b  1913-1951          1913-1936

 

Melbourne:       WILLS.a  1918-1942          1903-1951

 

The errors in reported usage can be attributed to the poor quality of images in previous published studies, in particular HAPP (2003).

 

The WILLS.a device used in Melbourne was a single die device and it is found used on the revenue stamps of Victoria and the postage stamps of Australia.

 

The reported early use from 1903 is not supported by the evidence that we have seen and is most likely a result of confusion with reports of the 1902-1906 Sydney device, which is rather similar.

 

Related patterns: Refer to other WD&HO Wills patterns in:

 

NSW:  WILLS.a, WILLS.b

 

QLD:  Other, Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

         W.D.& H.O./WILLS/(Aust)LTD

 

TAS:  Other, Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

         W.D & H.O.Wills(Aust)Ltd

 

*1 Wikipedia

 

*2 http://www.davenapier.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.htm

 

--------------------------------------------------------

WP/&Co..a

 

User: William Peterson & Co (Unconfirmed)

Address: 6 Queen St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: See McK/&C.a

 

Device: The WP/&Co.a pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

Many styles of WP/&Co exist on postage stamps over the period 1894-1905 but this specific format of WP/&Co is only found on revenue stamps. Furthermore, it has been unreported in all other Australian Perfin studies.


The WP/&Co.a pattern is only found used in 1895.

Related Patterns: Refer to other James F McKenzie & Co Pty Ltd and related company patterns in:

VIC: MC/K&C.a McK/&Co.a WP/&Co.b WP/&Co.c

--------------------------------------------------------

WP/&Co..b

 

User: William Peterson & Co (Unconfirmed)

Tea and Coffee Merchants, later General Merchants

Address: 6 Queen St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: See McK/&C.a

 

Device: The WP/&Co.b pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

As stated for WP/&Co.a, many styles of WP/&Co exist on postage stamps over the period 1894-1905 but only 3  formats are found on revenue stamps.

The WP/&Co.b format is the most common of the styles and is found used in the period 1896-1901, but it is still relatively uncommon. More than 18 variations of the WP/&Co.b format exist on postage stamps but only 1 is found on revenue stamps with usage in 1899.

Related Patterns: Refer to other James F McKenzie & Co Pty Ltd and related company patterns in:

 

VIC: MC/K&C.a McK/&Co.a WP/&Co.a WP/&Co.c

-------------------------------------------------------

WP/&Co..c

 

User: William Peterson & Co (Unconfirmed)

Tea and Coffee Merchants, later General Merchants

Address: 6 Queen St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1886-1899 Series, inscribed 'STAMP DUTY' 1d (shades)

Rarity Scale:

 

1886-1899 Series 1d R4

Background: See McK/&C.a

 

Device: The WP/&Co.c pattern was struck from a Temporary die in a single die format and as a result there can be some slight variation to various settings of the pattern.

As stated for WP/&Co.a, many styles of WP/&Co exist on postage stamps over the period 1894-1905 but only 3  formats are found on revenue stamps.

The WP/&Co.c format is only found used in the period 1899-1900, and due to this limited usage period it is rather rare. About 5 variations of the WP/&Co.b format exist on postage stamps but only 1 is found on revenue stamps.

Related Patterns: Refer to other James F McKenzie & Co Pty Ltd and related company patterns in:

VIC: MC/K&C.a McK/&Co.a WP/&Co.a WP/&Co.b

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  V  W  Y  Other

Back to States index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page