Private Revenue Perfins of Tasmania
An Elsmore Coath Howard production
The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work
Section 2 - Commercial Overprints
User: Pool Petroleum Pty Ltd
Address: 163 William St, Melbourne, VIC
1931 Series 2d
1931 Series 2d R4
Background: Fuel rationing was introduced in Australia on 1 October, 1940. By February, 1942, 8-hp cars were receiving 2 gallons of fuel a month and 30-hp cars 5 gallons.
In early July, 1942, the Commonwealth Government announced that all importers of distributing motor spirit and kindred products in Australia would be re-organised to meet the demands of the wartime national emergency. “The purpose of the new company was to co-ordinate the use of all shore tank accommodation so as to ensure as far as possible the maintenance of maximum stocks of vital (oil) products”.
On 1 August, 1942, the Minister for Supply gazetted regulations covering the formation of Pool Petroleum Ltd which would handle all petroleum products under one brand. The new company commenced operations on 15 August, 1942.
Pool Petroleum Ltd operated on a non-profit-making basis for itself and had a share capital of £5,000. Each company supplied its quota of personnel, depots, vehicles, drums pumps and other equipment. All trade names and brands were withdrawn for motor spirit, lighting kerosene, power kerosene, diesel oil, fuel oil distillate and gas oils. Motor spirit was sold by the new company from pumps branded “pool petrol”. Every three months there was a check of the pooling company’s operations and the sales of oil products balanced so each company obtained a prescribed quota of business.
Products not included by the pooling arrangements included aviation spirit, lubricating oils, diesel and fuel oils for delivery as bunker fuel to ocean going vessels, mineral turpentine and other specialised lines.
M.T. Lloyd, chairman of the Victorian Petroleum Committee and general manager of Commonwealth Oil Refinery Ltd (COR Ltd) became managing director of Pool Petroleum Ltd (incorporated in Victoria) with Melbourne offices at 90 and 163 William Street.
The chairman of the New South Wales Petroleum Committee announced the imminent incorporation of Pool Petroleum Ltd in that state 3 days after the Victorian announcement. Three days later, the same announcement was made by V.L. Meise, chairman of the Queensland Petroleum Committee. A week later, J.S. Mehan of the South Australian Petroleum Committee made an identical announcement.
All companies had “unanimously decided to co-operate in sacrificing their individual marketing interests for the duration of the war in order to facilitate the service of Defence requirements and to comply with Government policy.”
All 12 oil-distributing companies in Australia were involved in the pooling agreement: Alba petroleum Co Pty Ltd; Atlantic Union Oil Co Ltd; Australian Motorists’ Petrol Co Ltd; Caltex Ltd; Caltex (Queensland) Pty Ltd; Independent Oil Industry Pty Ltd; Neptune Oil Co Pty Ltd; Hamilton, Morton-Howard, Sleigh; COR Ltd; Shell Co of Australia Ltd and Vacuum Oil Co Pty Ltd.
After Saturday, 29 March, 1947, Pool Petroleum Pty Ltd ceased to exist and the oil companies resumed marketing products under their own brands.
Related patterns: Refer to other patterns in:
Section 2 Commercial Overprints In:
© copyright 2011