Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of South Australia

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

M

--------------------------------------------------------

MILLER ANDERSON LTD.a 

'Miller' & 'Anderson' can be found on separate stamps

User: Miller Anderson Ltd

 

Lady's Apparel

 

Address: 12-26 Hindley St, Adelaide, SA.

 

Store Locations: Clare & Brighton

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

Background: *The company that became Miller Anderson Ltd was established by a Scottish immigrant, to Adelaide, Robert Miller in 1839 (some sources 1840) who began a linen drapery business with a partner named Gale as Miller & Gale at 52 Hindley Street. The business grew following the arrival of James Miller Anderson in 1849 and was later know as J. Miller Anderson Co.  The company became one of the leading importers, home wares retailers and tailors in the State.

Over the years it developed into one of Adelaide’s finest Department Stores and in 1915 the company became a limited liability company and was titled, Miller Anderson Ltd. In the 1920’s they built a dedicated 5 story building at 16-26 Hindley St and in 1927 they became a public company and was soon after acquired by Marcus Clark and Co Ltd of Sydney.

Miller Anderson Limited was acquired by Walton's Limited, as a result over its 1966 takeover of Marcus Clark & Co. Ltd. Miller Anderson Limited was later sold to the Venture Stores Group.

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns:  Nil

* State Library of South Australia

--------------------------------------------------------

MILLER ANDERSON LTD.b 

'Miller' & 'Anderson' can be found on separate stamps

User: Miller Anderson Ltd

 

Lady's Apparel

 

Address: 12-26 Hindley St, Adelaide, SA.

 

Store Locations: Clare & Brighton

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

1966 Series 5c.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

1966 Series 5c R4.

 

Background: See: Miller Anderson Ltd.a

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Miller Anderson Ltd.a

--------------------------------------------------------

MOORE'S/VIC. SQUARE/

ADELAIDE.a

User: Charles Moore & Co

Drapers & Importers 'Chas Moore's Great Drapery Emporium'

Address: Victoria Square, Adelaide, SA.

             70-76 Gouger St, Adelaide, SA

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

Background: *Details on this company are limited but it was known to have been started in 1896 by Charles Moore and expanded into a chain of Department Stores, some referred to as Economy Stores.

 

They were located initially in Perth and WA regional areas, but from August 1916 they expanded to Victoria Square New Adelaide (SA) and later Kadina (SA).

 

Moore died in September 1916 but the Stores continued well into the 1970’s.

 

Moore is mentioned as one of the people behind the foundation of the Princess Margaret Hospital for Children in Perth.

 

Device: Printed

Related patterns: Refer to other Charles Moore patterns in:

WA – Other section – Commercial Overprints

Charles Moore/ & Co WA/Pty Ltd.a

--------------------------------------------------------

M.T.P.A..a

User: The Mercantile Trade Protection Association of S.A. Ltd

Chamber of Manufacturers

Address: 112 King William St, Adelaide, SA.

    Later: 12-14 Pirie St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

Background: *This organisation commenced in 1879 as The Mercantile Defence Association of South Australia but changed its name in 1888 to Mercantile Trade Protection Association of South Australia.

The organisation appears to have operated as a Public Trustee as well as a management company during insolvencies and a credit assessment company.

 

The organisation operated until at least 1969 when it was absorbed into the Dun and Bradstreet Company.

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Nil

* TROVE

--------------------------------------------------------

MYER.a .b

   

.a                                          .b

User: MYER

Address: Rundal St, Adelaide, SA

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

1966 Series 2c.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

1966 Series 2c R4.

 

Background: *The Myer retail group was started by Sidney Myer, who migrated from Russia to Melbourne in 1899 with very little money and little knowledge of English to join his elder brother, Elcon Myer (1875-1938), who had left Russia two years earlier. They opened the first Myer store in Bendigo, Victoria in 1900. After prospering, the second store opened in 1908.

In 1911 Myer purchased the business of Wright and Neil, Drapers, in Bourke Street, Melbourne, near the General Post Office, and a new building was completed and opened in 1914. From this base in Melbourne, Myer built Australia's largest chain of Department Stores.

In 1918, the Doveton woolen mills at Ballarat were purchased, and in 1921 a new building fronting Post Office Place was added at Melbourne and in the following years Myer purchased adjoining properties, eventually building a store known as the Myer Emporium. Myer expanded to Lonsdale Street in the 1920s.

The Myer Emporium grew with the purchase of the old established businesses of Robertson & Moffat and Stephens & Sons. In 1925, Myer Emporium Ltd was listed on the Melbourne Stock Exchange and the new building on the Lonsdale Street frontage was begun. In Adelaide, in 1925, the company, Myer SA Stores Ltd acquired a controlling interest in Marshall's department store and its shares continued to be listed on the Adelaide Stock Exchange until Myer Emporium Ltd made a successful takeover bid in 1966. A separate building in Queensberry Street, Melbourne, was put up in 1928, and the Collins Street businesses of T. Webb and Sons, china importers, and W. H. Rocke and Company, house furnishers, were bought and transferred to the Bourke-street building. By 1934, the public company had a paid-up capital of nearly £2,500,000. The company was then employing 5300 people with medical and nursing aid for the staff, and rest homes for them at the seaside and in the Dandenong Ranges.

On the death of Sidney Myer in 1934, leadership of the company fell to Elcon Myer, and on the death of Elcon in 1938, leadership went to their nephew Norman Myer. Norman Myer led the company until his death in 1956.

Myer grew by developing its own stores (becoming one of Australia's major property owners and developers in the process) and acquiring other department stores, including Adelaide's Marshall's, Western Australia's Boans in 1984, Queensland's Barry and Roberts and in New South Wales they acquired Western Stores, Farmers & Co in 1961 and Grace Brothers in 1983.

Device: Stencil

Related patterns: Refer to other related MYER patterns in:

VIC: Other Section – Commercial overprints

Myer.a The Myer Emporium Ltd.a, .b .c and .d, Myer/Ballarat.a, Myer/Chadstone.a,  Myer/Geelong.a

*Wikipedia

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page