Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of Western Australia

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  G  L  P  S  T  W

Back to W A 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

P

-------------------------------------------------------

PETERS/Western/Ice.a

 

.a                                 .b

User: Peters (WA) Ltd

 

Suppilers of Ice and Ice Cream

 

Address: Cnr Roe St & Melbourne Rd, Perth, WA

Revenue Use:

.a 1941-1943 issue: 1d.

.b 1951-1963 issue: 1d, 3d.

Rarity Scale:

 

.a 1941-1943 issue: 1d R4.

 

.b 1951-1963 issue: 1d R3, 3d R4.

Background: *Peter's was founded in 1907 by American migrant Fred Peters who was homesick for ice cream, which had become a popular treat in the US during the late 1800’s.

Fred Peters was born in, Michigan, USA, in 1866 and on leaving school at 18 he worked as a travelling salesman for a drug company. In 1891 he became a salesman for the Union Manufacturing Co., Ohio, and within three months was the sales manager.

He later had a financial interest in a New York firm, which exported bicycles and parts to Australia. As part of this venture Peters moved to Sydney in 1897 and while in Sydney he married a Canadian, Daisy Stephen. In 1898 the business failed and Peters returned to America, where his father told him, 'Son, the place to find your money is where you lost it'.

This encouraged Peters to return to Sydney in 1899 where he began a business with several agencies including the Union Manufacturing Co. Pursuing his love of ice cream, which was not readily obtainable in Australia at the time, he initially made ice cream at his home in Manly using his mothers recipe, but in 1907 he leased two rooms in an ice factory at Paddington and set up the Peters' American Delicacy Co. Ltd. The company moved to new premises in Redfern in 1923 and business flourished. In a series of company floats Peters established offices in Brisbane (1927), Newcastle, Melbourne, Perth, and Townsville as well as a manufacturing site in Rockhampton, (all in 1929).

In June 1929 the WA arm of the company purchased the shares of the Western Ice Co. and this company was the user of this overprint.

Peters served as a director on many boards but took no interest in politics. He retired as managing director of Peters' in 1936 and died in May 1937.

During the 1930’s Peters became Petersville Australia Limited and later its national headquarters was established at Mulgrave in Melbourne. By the 1960’s it had diversified into many areas of dairy food manufacture and in the 1970’s it merged with H C Sleigh. In the 1980’s the company was taken over by Adelaide Steamship Company (Adsteam) and then later Pacific Dunlop (now Ansell) Pacific Dunlop sold its food assets in the mid 1990s, and the ice cream division was acquired by Nestle.

These take overs and sales excluded the Western Australian (WA) part of the company which continue to operate as Peters Ice Cream and were owned by PB foods until they sold it to New Zealand Diary Company, Fonterra, in 2006. In 2009 Fonterra finally sold the WA Peters operation to Nestlé.

Device: Preprinted.

Related patterns: Refer to other patterns in:

QLD: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: PETERS/ICE/CREAM.a

VIC: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: Peters/ICE CREAM.a

*Australian Dictionary of Biography.

--------------------------------------------------------

PLAISTOWE/&/CO, LTD,/PERTH.a

User: Plaistowe & Co Ltd


Confectionary Manufactures


Address: 155 Havelock St West Perth, WA

Revenue Use:

1943-1957 issue: 3d

Rarity Scale:

 

1943-1957 issue: 3d R4.

 

Background: *Hugh Plaistowe was born in London and worked in the family confectionary manufacturing business before immigrating to Perth in the early 1890’s.

Once in Perth he joined as a junior partner in the Silver Pan Confectionary Company with senior partner J Hobbs which operated from premises in Marquis St, West Perth.

The company became Plaistowe and Co in 1904 and they later moved to a purpose built factory at 155 Havelock St, West Perth. From their headquarters in Perth the company expanded to establish branches in all States and they extended into the production grocery lines as well as canned food.

Plaistowe died in 1935 but the company was still trading in 1964 after which it may have been absorbed into the Nestle Group.

Device: Handstamp

 

Related patterns: Nil

 

* Trove

 

* State Library of WA

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  G  L  P  S  T  W

Back to W A 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page