Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of Victoria

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y

Back to Victoria 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

N

--------------------------------------------------------

THE/NATIONAL/CASH/

REGISTER/CO. PTY. LTD.a

User: National Cash Register Co. Pty. Ltd.

Suppliers of Cash Registers

Address: 165 Flinders La, Melbourne, VIC

From c1950 124-130 Russell St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1932 Series 2d, 3d

1960 3d on 2d

Rarity Scale:

 

1932 Series 2d R2, 3d R2

 

1960 3d on 2d

Background: Today, NCR is an American computer hardware, software and electronics company headquartered in Atlanta, since 2009.

The company began as National Manufacturing Co in Dayton, Ohio, manufacturing and selling the first mechanical cash register invented in 1879 by James Ritty. The patents were bought by John and Frank Patterson in 1884 and the firm renamed National Cash Register Co. The company expanded rapidly and became multi-national in 1888.

 

In 1890, National Cash Registers were being sold through sole agents Mackrell & Mills at Tasman Chambers, 106 King Street East, Sydney; their offices moving to 96 Bathurst Street in September, 1891.

 

Canadian born W.A. Lingham (b.1866) joined National Cash Register Co. in 1888 and gained experience selling machines throughout America, Canada and the Hawaiian Islands. In early 1893 he was sent to Australia as the company’s sole agent, with one commercial traveller to assist.

 

In February, 1894, W.E. Fisher and W. A. Lingham operating from 3 Victoria Arcade were appointed sole agents for Australasia. The agency was terminated by the American parent company in October, 1897, Lingham becoming sole representative of National Manufacturing Co. whose head office was at 393 George Street, Sydney. (Fisher, trading as Fisher and Lingham, continued with the agency for Smith typewriters and typewriter equipment.)

 

In the early years, sales averaged just two registers a month but by 1899 had grown to average 75 a month, with total colonial sales being “enormous”; by August, 1900, the company had moved to 335 Pitt Street.

 

By 1898, National Cash Register Co. had offices not only in Sydney and Melbourne but also in Adelaide, (at 27 Grenfell Street).

 

In 1899, Button & Co. of 92 William Street, Perth were acting as sole agents for National Cash Register Co.; while the company opened for business in the Courier Building, Brisbane, in the same year, with Hedley Button of Charles Street, Launceston, acting as agent for Tasmania.

In 1911, National Cash Register Co. became a limited liability company and a proprietary company in September, 1918.

 

The 1901 Sands & McDougall directory for Melbourne locates National Cash Register Co. at 364 Collins Street, Melbourne, with F.M. Paton as manager for Victoria. In September, 1904, the company had a store at 417 Bourke, which was vacated in late 1905, preference being given to the use of commercial travellers and extensive advertising to promote sales.

 

In 1910 the company moved to 48-50 Bourke Street, with H.A. Dodwell as Victorian manager. In 1920, National Cash Register Co. Pty Ltd moved to 165 Flinders Lane, Melbourne. The company moved again, to 510-514 Collins Street, in 1925, where it was still located in 1951.

Device: Handstamp

Related patterns: Nil

W. A. Lingham

--------------------------------------------------------

NEPTUNE.a

User: Neptune Oil Co. Ltd.

Oil Producers & Distributors

Address: Inglis St, Port Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1932 Series 3d

Rarity Scale:

 

1932 Series 3d R4

Background: The Neptune Oil Company was registered in Australia in 1905 (some sources report 1909 and 1912) but Neptune products had been sold in Australia since about 1894 by a business run by the Kitchen family. This company was purchased by the Lever Group in 1914 and their Motor spirit (petrol) went on sale in 1917 under the “Waratah” brand name. From 1924 it was progressively available in every state through multi brand service stations with the product being packaged into various sized containers from a facility in Brisbane.

In 1926 the Anglo-Dutch, Shell Company purchased the Neptune/Waratah concern and this lead to the creation of Shell Australia. It was not until 1952 that Neptune petrol became available under the “Neptune” brand with its unique 'King Neptune' logo. This was short lived as Shell dropped the name all together in 1959.

Device: Preprinted

Related patterns: Refer to other Neptune patterns in:

QLD:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

TAS: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

VIC: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: N/E/P/T/U/N/E.a

Related patterns: Refer to other Shell patterns in:

NSW: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: Nil

QLD:  Other - Section 2 SHELL.a  SHELL.b  SHELL.c  SHELL.d  SHELL.e

SA:    Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL/CO/LTD.a

 

TAS:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a  SHELL.b

 

WA:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a

--------------------------------------------------------

N/E/P/T/U/N/E.a

  

User: Neptune Oil Co. Ltd.

Oil Producers & Distributors

Address: Inglis St, Port Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use:

1920-1966 Series (perf 11 issues) 5/-, 10/-, 15/-, £1

Rarity Scale:

 

1920-1966 Series 5/- R2, 10/- R2, £1 R1

Background: See NEPTUNE.a

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Refer to other Neptune patterns in:

QLD:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

TAS: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

VIC: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

Related patterns: Refer to other Shell patterns in:

NSW: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: Nil

QLD:  Other - Section 2 SHELL.a  SHELL.b  SHELL.c  SHELL.d  SHELL.e

SA:    Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL/CO/LTD.a

 

TAS:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a  SHELL.b

 

WA:  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a

--------------------------------------------------------

NORMAN BROS/PTY LTD.a

User: Norman Bros. Pty Ltd.

Stationers & Printers

Address: 60-62 Elizabeth St, Melbourne, VIC

Revenue Use: 

1932 Series 3d

Rarity Scale:

 

1932 Series 3d R4

Background:

Herbert Norman, was born in December, 1865, in Norfolk, England, like his brothers Arthur (b. 1869), Frederick and Ernest and five sisters. His father (in 1871) was a successful bookseller, printer and stationer employing 8 assistants and 3 boys. In 1889, Herbert and Arthur migrated to Victoria.

 

In March, 1857, John Mitchell, engraver, entered into partnership with James Fergusson, the business to be known as Fergusson & Mitchell, engravers, lithographers and copperplate printers, located at 41 Collins Street West. In March, 1896, the business went into liquidation, re-opening at the same address of 56 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, in October, as S.F.A. Co., (Stationery, Fancy goods, Artists’ supplies) The company sold artists’ supplies and stationery, and last traded as “late Fergusson & Mitchell Ltd”.

 

S.F.A. Co. was acquired, by November, 1898, by Herbert and Arthur Norman, the business continuing to trade as S.F.A. Co. (Norman Bros.) until the end of 1899. In the same year, Fergusson’s (late Fergusson & Mitchell), “engravers, lithographers and printers” opened for business in the Equitable Building, Collins Street.

 

Under the Norman brothers, the business expanded rapidly to occupy nos.52 to 56 Elizabeth Street. The company advertised as stationers and printers in 1899, adding book binding in 1900, booksellers and fancy goods importers in 1903 and introducing mail order catalogues, and advertised as “manufacturing stationers” in 1904.

 

In late 1902, Norman Bros. took over “the entire stock and business” of competitor, A.J. Smith & Co. in Swanston Street, holding a clearance sale in January, 1903.

 

In late 1924, Norman Brothers became a limited liability company located at 60-62 Elizabeth Street, Melbourne, where they were still to be found in 1957. By August, 1939, the business was styled Norman Bros Pty Ltd.

 

In January, 1940, Herbert Norman, aged 75, died at his home in Armadale. He was President of the Victorian Master Printers’ Association and the Australian Master Printers’ Association, and wrote a 20 page volume The development of the printing industry in Australia in 1934. He was also chairman of the Congregational College of Victoria, a foundation member of the Royal Society of St George, vice president of the Philharmonic Society and had been a member of the Rotary Club, a trustee of the Melbourne General cemetery and on the council of the YMCA.

 

In June, 1948, Arthur Norman, governing director of Norman Bros Pty Ltd died. He was 79 years old.

Norman Bros Pty Ltd celebrated its Golden Jubilee in October, 1948. The directors were Keith and Howard Norman, sons of the founders. Among the staff was A.R. Gideon who had been with the company since its inception.

 

The company is currently [2017] located at 500 Collins Street, trading as Norman Brothers and on-line as My Office.

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  Y

Back to Victoria 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page