Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of South Australia

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

S

--------------------------------------------------------

SAVERYS.a 

User: Saverys

Rental provider

Address: 27 Rundle St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

Background:

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

S.A. GAS/Coy..a 

User: South Australian Gas Co

Gas Provider and Distributor

Address: 35-39 Waymouth St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

1966 Series 5c.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R1.

 

1966 Series 5c R4.

Background: *The South Australian Gas Company was formed in May 1863 by an Act of the South Australian Parliament, following 2 years of effort by Government and private interests. The initial gas works were located at Brompton and produced what is known as “town gas” which produced gas from the consumption of coal.

Initial support was weak and Adelaide lagged behind the eastern cities in the provision of this utility compared with, for Sydney (1841), Melbourne (1856) and Hobart (1854).

The demand for gas grew steadily but in the 1890’s the gas lighting monopoly was threatened when electricity was introduced, however the decrease in the use of gas for lighting was more than offset by the growing demand for gas for cooking and heating appliances.

The company remained a producer and a distributor of gas until the 1950’s but with the building of the Oil Refinery at Port Stanvac the company looked to become just a distributor of the Liquefied Petroleum Gas. However in 1966 the Moomba natural gas fields were discovered in north eastern South Australia and in 1969 following the construction of a 790 kilometre pipeline to Adelaide buy Santos Limited, the South Australian Gas Company became committed to the distribution of natural gas.

The company became Sagasco in 1978 following a merger between the South Australian Gas Company and the government-owned South Australian Oil and Gas Corporation with former Delhi Petroleum executive Fraser Ainsworth as Managing Director. Ainsworth went on an aggressive acquisition program buying gas reserves across Australia and the company grew steadily.

In the early 1990’s the South Australian Government decided to sell its stake in the company and an offer was made by the Adelaide-based oil and gas producer Santos Ltd. However this bid experienced problems in Trade Practices Commission (TPC) because of fears that a Santos - Sagasco combination would dominate the eastern States' gas markets and curtail competition. 

An offer from Industrial company Boral was accepted and as a result of this acquisition and a similar take over in Brisbane Boral was established as one of the major players in Australia's gas industry.

Device: Handstamped

Related patterns: Nil

*Wikipedia

“The Unquenchable Flame – The South Australian Gas Company 1861 – 1986” by Peter Donovan and Noreen Kirkman

Boral website

--------------------------------------------------------

SHELL/CO/LTD..a

User: Shell Company Ltd

Oil Provider and Distributor

Address: Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

Background: *Royal Dutch Shell, commonly known as Shell, is a global energy company headquartered in the Netherlands and with its registered office in London. It is the second-largest energy company and the fifth-largest company in the world with operations in over 90 countries.

Shell Transport and Trading Company was started in the early 1800’s by Marcus Samuel, a London antique dealer who imported seashells from the Far East to supply the fashion and manufacturing industries. This later became a thriving import-export business run by his sons, Marcus (Jr.) and Sam.

In the mid 1800’s oil was largely used in lighting and lubricants but with the arrival of the internal combustion engine in the 1880’s there was increased demand for transport fuel. Building on their shipping expertise, the Samuel brothers commissioned a fleet of steamers to carry oil in bulk. This was formalised as the Shell Transport and Trading Company in 1897and it used a mussel shell as its logo.

Shell Transport’s activities in the East, combined with a search for new sources of oil brought them into contact with Royal Dutch Petroleum. The two companies joined forces in 1903 to protect themselves against the growing power of the US based Standard Oil. They fully merged into the Royal Dutch Shell Group in 1907. At this time Shell changed its logo to the scallop shell, which is used today.

Device: Stencil

Related patterns: Refer to other Shell patterns in:



NSW: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: Nil.

QLD: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a-.f



TAS: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a SHELL.b

VIC: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL.a-.d

WA: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: SHELL/CO/LTD.a

Refer to other Neptune patterns in:

TAS: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a

VIC: Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints: NEPTUNE.a NEPTUNE.b

*Wikipedia and Shell Australia web site.

--------------------------------------------------------

STATE BANK/

ELIZABETH SOUTH..a 

User: The State Bank of South Australia

Bank

Address: Elizabeth South, SA.

Revenue Use:

1966 Series 8c.

Rarity Scale:

 

1966 Series 8c R4.

 

Background: *The company that would become “The State Bank of South Australia” was formed in the March 11, 1848 as “The Savings Bank of South Australia”.

The banks first loan was a historic one, when it advanced 500 pounds to farmer and owner of a fledgling hardware business, John Colton. This business later grew into the well-known Adelaide firm, and perfin user, Colton & Co (later, Colton, Palmer and Preston). In 1875 Colton was appointed to the Bank's board of trustees. By the end of the bank's first year it had attracted 214 depositors, with balances of more than 5,300 pounds and had a loan book of around 3,000 pounds.

The Bank grew steadily under the management of some of the icons of Adelaide business and became the largest financial institution in South Australia.

In 1984 “The Savings Bank of SA”, merged with “The State Bank of SA” merged with the company taking the name of “The State Bank of SA” and later Bank SA.

 

 Following a funding crisis and State Government bail out in 1992 it was sold to Advance Bank then later this entity was absorbed by the St George Bank and then later St George were acquired by the Westpac Banking Corporation.

 

At this stage the Bank was relaunched as BankSA and they grew to over 100 branches in South Australia are once again the Northern Territory and are once again the largest financial institution in South Australia.

 

Former Savings Bank of SA, now BankSA head office, King William St, Adelaide.

 

Device: Handstamped

 

Related patterns: Nil

*Wikipedia

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page