Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of South Australia

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

A

--------------------------------------------------------

ADELAIDE/CHILLED

BUTTER/and PRODUCE/

COMPANY/LIMITED..a

1904 Series

User: Adelaide Chilled Butter and Produce Company Limited.

 

Produce Auctioneers, Butter Manufacturers and General Produce Merchants

Address: “Murrays Buildings” off Waymouth St,

              Later Anster St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1904 Series 6d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1904 Series 6d R3.

 

Background: The Adelaide Chilled Butter and Produce Company Limited was established by J H Rule in around 1895. Rule was a enthusiastic promoter of the Diary industry and toured around South Australia encouraging farmers to put aside some space and investment in diary products in addition to their main farming interest which was at the time mainly wheat.

 

The company dealt in milk, honey, cheese, bacon, eggs, poultry, vegetables, butter and other diary produce and they initially occupied space in “Murray's Buildings”, off Waymouth St. which housed their offices, auction rooms, poultry saleroom, vegetable cool rooms, cream receiving and chilling room, and a butter factory in the basement.

 

In 1896 daily butter production was as much as 4 to 5 tons.

 

J I Rule’s son W N Rule, who initially worked in the company after leaving school spent time in the Diary industry in New Zealand and Victoria before returning to Adelaide in the about 1917 to help reorganize the Adelaide Chilled Butter and Produce Company Limited and then stayed on as Assistant Manager.

 

The company appears to have stopped trading or changed its name in the 1920’s.

 

Device: Handstamped

 

Related patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

ADELAIDE MILLING COMPANY LTD./ADELAIDE.a

1904 Series

User: Adelaide Milling Co Ltd

 

Flour Milling and Shipping

 

Address: King William St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1902 Series 15/-.

1904 Series 1/-, 2/-, 10/-, £1.

Rarity Scale:

 

1902 Series 15/- R4.

 

1904 Series 1/- R4, 2/- R3, 10/- R4, £1 R4.

 

Background: The Adelaide Milling Company Mill was built in about 1860 at Port Adelaide, by Charles Hawkes Todd Connor, founder of the Adelaide Milling and Mercantile Company, which became the Adelaide Milling Company Ltd in about 1882.

 

The mill is located at Port Adelaide directly adjacent to “Hart's Mill” at Princess Wharf, Port Adelaide, (SA).

Hart’s Flour Mill (on right) operated from 1855 to 1980 on this former Adelaide Milling Company mill site. The mill complex was designed to develop a worldwide export market for produce from South Australia and was the longest continuously serving flour milling enterprise in the State.

 

The company owned two trade marks for flour, which records show where renewed as recently as 1976.

Trade marks

D and J Fowler, Ltd, a London merchant company, with branches in Australia had a controlling Interest in the Adelaide Milling Co Ltd.

 

Device: Handstamped

 

Related patterns: Nil

--------------------------------------------------------

ANDERSON

See: Miller Anderson in the 'M' page

--------------------------------------------------------

AUSTRALIAN/MUTUAL/

PROVIDENT/SOCIETY..a 

   

1902 Series                         1904 Series

Left copy EKD for an SA Pre Cancel 5/2/87

User: Australian Mutual Provident Society

 

Insurance

 

Address: King William St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1902 Series 1d.

1904 Series 1d.

Rarity Scale:

 

1902 Series 1d R4.

 

1904 Series 1d R3.

 

Background: *The Australian Mutual Provident Fund (AMP) was founded in Sydney in 1849 under the recently passed “Friendly Society Act of NSW” for the provision of Life Assurance products. The AMP grew steadily opening a Melbourne office in 1863 and a Brisbane office on the corner of Queen and Edward Streets in 1898, as well as opening offices in New Zealand. Growth continued by the early 1900’s AMP had become the dominant provider in Australia and New Zealand.

 

AMP continued to focus on Life products but in 1958 they created AMP Fire and General. In 1989 they acquired Pearl Assurance and some other small insurers in the United Kingdom but these were later sold in 2003. In 1998 AMP demutualised and listed on the Australian Stock Exchange as AMP Limited.

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other AMP patterns in:

 

QLD: AMPS.a    AMPS.b    AMPS.c  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints. 

 

SA: A.M.P.SOCIETY.a

 

NSW: AMP/F&G.a

 

*History of the AMP – Geoffrey Blainey 1998.

--------------------------------------------------------

A.M.P./SOCIETY.a 

User: Australian Mutual Provident Society

 

Insurance

 

Address: King William St, Adelaide, SA.

Revenue Use:

1920 Series 2d. horizontal and sideways up

Rarity Scale:

 

1920 Series 2d R4.

 

Background: See AMP.a pattern above.

 

Related Patterns: Refer to other AMP patterns in:

 

QLD: AMPS.a    AMPS.b    AMPS.c  Other - Section 2 Commercial Overprints. 

 

SA: AUSTRALIAN MUTUAL PROVIDENT SOCIETY.a

 

NSW: AMP/F&G.a

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  J  M  R  S

Back to SA 'Other' page  Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page