Perfins home page

 

Private Revenue Perfins of Queensland

An Elsmore Coath Howard production

The authors would welcome your comments additions or input into this work

A  B  C  D  F  G  L  M  N  P  Q  R  S  T  W

Back to QLD 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

Section 2 - Commercial Overprints

M

--------------------------------------------------------

MBF.a.b

         

.a                                         .a                                          .b

User: Medical Benefits Fund

Medical Insurance Provider

Address: (from 1953) 'Strand Building', Queen & Albert Sts, Brisbane, QLD

Revenue Use: 

Numeral issue, printed on:

.a 1936 2d, 3d. - .a 1966 5c, 6con5c. -

.b Handstamped: 6c, 10c security under-print roulette.

Rarity Scale:

 

.a 1936 2d R2, 3d R2. 1966 6con5c R2.

 

.b 1966 6c R2, 10c R2.

Background: MBF is well established health insurance provider in Queensland and they were one of the selected companies to participate in the Queensland Medical Benefits Scheme that was  established on 1 July 1953.

Today MBF is part of the BUPA Group which includes the Hospital Benefits Association (HBA) and Mutual Community and together they are the largest, non-government private health insurer in Australia.  

MBF provides private health insurance throughout Australia but the majority of its 2 million + customers are in Queensland, New South Wales, Tasmania and the Northern Territory. In addition to its core private health insurance business, the MBF group of companies offer life and travel insurance as well as financial planning services through Clear View Retirement Solutions.
 
Device: Handstamp or Preprinted.
 
Related patterns: Nil.

----------------------------------------------------------

Moore Bros..a

.a

User: Moore Bros.

 

Tailors

 

Address: Stanley St, South Brisbane, QLD

Revenue Use:

KGV 1920 issue 1d.

Rarity Scale:

KGV 1920 issue 1d R4.  

Background: In 1912 Moore Bros., ‘Worthmore’ tailors, claimed to be the largest tailoring establishment in Queensland.  With premises at Stanley St, South Brisbane as well as Queen St Brisbane, (Opposite the GPO) and Wickham St, Valley Junction.
 
The workrooms had accommodation for upwards of 100 operators, and on the upper floor there were recreation rooms, offices and large storerooms.

Moore Bothers were still operating in the mid 1920’s and they had a stand at the Brisbane Agricultural Show along side fellow Brisbane tailors Pike Brothers.
 
Device: Hand stamp.
 
Related patterns: Nil.

--------------------------------------------------------

MIM.a

.a

User: MIM Ltd. (Mount Isa Mines Limited)

 

Mining

 

Address: Mount Isa, Queensland

Revenue Use:

1966 issue 2c, 3c.

Rarity Scale:

1966 issue 2c R4, 3c R4.  

Background: In February, 1923, John Campbell Miles, a prospector noticed interesting mineralised outcrops on the banks of the Leichhardt River, not far from the deserted copper fields of Cloncurry. Assays revealed Miles had discovered the richest zinc-lead seams in the world.


In two months Miles laid claim to 42 acres of land, the “Racecourse” lease, naming the largest outcrop Mount Isa. In January 1924, Mount Isa Mines Ltd (MIM) was formed listing on the Sydney Stock Exchange in May, with an initial capital of £450,000 in £20 shares. In July, a further 17,500 shares were issued. In April 1924, options had been exercised on 55 leases totalling an additional 400 acres. Two other companies were also formed: Mt Isa Silver Lead Pty, and Mt Isa South, these being acquired by MIM by late 1925.


By the end of 1928, the estimate of reserves was 21.2 million tons; in 1930 this rose to 32 million tons. The Queensland Government refused to invest state funds in up-start town so the company was forced to develop infrastructure, accommodation, facilities and services. One outcome was the establishment of the Royal Flying Doctor Service in 1928; another was damming the Leichhardt River to supply water for the town and the mine.


A rail link from Mount Isa to Duchess was essential, so the company entered into a contract with the Queensland Government, which saw the railway opened in April, 1929. It became the most profitable rail line in Queensland.


The astronomical cost of developing the ore body was exacerbated by its remote location so the owners turned to American Smelting and Refining Company (ASARCO) who sent out Julius Kruttschnitt II in 1930.


Mining finally commenced in 1931 using mechanised equipment to a extent previously not seen in Australia. Poor recoveries, caused by the unusually fine nature of the mineral grains, were a major problem and it was not until 1936-37 that MIM made a profit.


A major copper find was made in 1930 but economic conditions were poor and the existence of an economic copper deposit was only established in 1941. With World War II creating a demand for copper, MIM switched off lead production in April, 1943, and converted to copper processing. Demand for copper sank at the end of the war, and MIM switched back to lead in May, 1946; parallel production of zinc-lead-silver and copper began only in January, 1953. Later in 1953, Julius Kruttschnitt resigned after 23 years with Mount Isa Mines.


In 1947, investors finally received their first dividend. To secure coal supply for the company power station, MIM bought a controlling interest in Bowen Consolidated Coal Mines Ltd in 1951. After the war, MIM repaid its debts, including those to ASARCO, which bought shares in MIM owning 53% of the company by 1960.


Exploration, production and expansion continued apace throughout the 1950s and 1960s, MIM becoming the largest mining company in Australia in 1955. In 1958, a new dam on the Leichhardt River to supply the town and company operations created Lake Moondarra; in 1960 a new power station was constructed near Mica Creek to add capacity to the Mines Power Station. In 1966 MIM consolidated its mining lease holdings by taking up all the territory between Hilton and the Mount Isa operations into a single Special Mining Lease, developing the “Hilton mine” in 1969. Production at Hilton ceased in 1975.


In 2003, Xstrata purchased Mount Isa Mines for US$2.93 billion. Following the take-over Mount Isa was split into Xstrata Copper, the lead-zinc-silver stream becoming part of Xstrata Zinc. In May, 2013, Xstrata merged with Glencore to form Glencore Xstrata PLC, which changed its name to Glencore PLC in 2014.


Julius Kruttschnitt was appointed to the board of directors of MIM in 1931 and became Chairman in 1937. He retired as chairman in 1953 but remained on the board until 1967. He was president of the Queensland Chamber of mines for 14 years and president of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy in 1939 and 1952. Kruttschnitt was awarded the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy’s gold medal in 1946. In 1971, MIM Ltd presented the Julius Kruttschnitt Mineral Research Centre to the University of Queensland. He died in 1974 aged 89.


References:

Blainey, G., Mines in the Spinifex: the story of Mount Ida Mines, Angus & Robertson, Sydney, 1960.

Mount Isa Mines, About MIM Mount Isa Mines.

National Library of Australia.

Trove.

 
Device: Hand stamp.
 
Related patterns: Nil.

--------------------------------------------------------

B. D. Moreheads & Co.a

.a

User: B. D. Moreheads & Co.

 

Wool Brokers

 

Address: Mary St, Brisbane, QLD

Revenue Use:

1872 Stamp Duty 6d, 1/-, 2/-.

QV 1874 small chalon1 /-.

QV 1880 small chalon 2/-, 2/6d.

QV 1882 large chalon 2/-, 2/6d.

QV 1st sideface 1d, 1/-.

QV 2nd sideface 1/-.

Rarity Scale:

 

1872 Stamp Duty 6d R4, 1/- R3, 2/- R4.

 

QV 1874 small chalon 1/- R4.

 

QV 1880 small chalon 2/- R4, 2/6d R4.

 

QV 1882 large chalon 2/- R4, 2/6d R4.

 

QV 1st sideface 1d R4, 1/- R4.

 

QV 2nd sideface 1/- R4.

 

Background: Boyd Dunlop Morehead was born in Sydney of Scottish parents in August 1843 and was educated in both Sydney and Scotland before leaving Sydney University in 1861 to try his luck at various gold and sapphire diggings. In 1862 he joined the Bank of New South Wales as a clerk but was later dismissed for insubordination. Later in 1866, after acquiring pastoral experience on several stations he became manager of the Scottish Australian Investment Co.'s “Bowen Downs” property.

In 1873 Morehead and A. B. Buchanan founded B. D. Morehead & Co. which had two branches, a mercantile and trading business, and a stock and station agency. By 1877 the company had thirteen stations in the Mitchell District.

Morehead joined the Queensland Legislative Assembly as the representative for Mitchell in September 1871, and moved between both houses of parliament. He served in many senior roles such as postmaster-general, ministerial representative, colonial secretary and later premier, chief secretary and colonial secretary until August 1890. He remained in parliament until his death in October 1905. 

As well as his pastoral and political roles he was a director of the Queensland National Bank for some years until 1893 when the crash lead to a run on the bank and its collapse.

Device: Handstamped.

 

Related patterns: Nil.

--------------------------------------------------------

A  B  C  D  F  G  L  M  N  P  Q  R  S  T  W

Back to QLD 'Other' page Back to States Perfin index

Back to Commercial Overprint index

© copyright 2011

Perfins home page